Friday, March 23, 2007

el zumbido

Habana 3/23 -- The city has awakened from a deep sleep, following the announcement of Fidel Castro's death early this morning, which was echoed by the sonorous peeling of church bells throughout the city. The level of activity has heightened; small groups congregate on street corners to share their grief and ponder what is to come.

After downing a half gallon of coffee to neutralize last night's gallon of sangria, I hurried to my office. From the window here, I see an unusual amount of traffic, including a great many black Volvo and Mercedes limousines that presumably are ferrying government officials to urgent conferences. I've pulled out my black book of contact names. Urgency seems to be replacing lethargy.

The buzz of history is palpable.

havana hombre

No comments: